One more of my responsibilities was to texture the models. To achieve this I first had to unwrap and bake the model, as well as bake it within substance painter.
I did have a few troubles with texturing, such as finding that no smoothing information was exported with the model when exported from blender. This wasn’t really solved, however, I did find that when exported from ZBrush there was smoothing information, but this meant I had to texture the model bit by bit instead of getting all the subtools in at once.
Below is a layout of the penguin’s body, as you can see I went for a more traditional approach, sticking with simple black and white while using a light fur alpha to give it more texture.
I repeated this process throughout the rest of the models and subtools, using slightly different methods and making use of the smart materials.
I chose to export all of the textures with the Unreal 4 configuration, this means that I would get the base texture, normal map, specular map and ambient map that can be easily plugged into a material node within the Unreal engine.