Digital Artefact -accurate room modelling

An important part of being an architectural modeller in my opinion is the ability to accurately build a house interior, even to the most minuscule detail. The most difficult part of modelling a house without any strong reference is the proportions, so to sharpen my skills and gain a better understanding I decided to model the base structure of my house.

To begin I decided it best to create the basic shape of the living room, dining room, the kitchen and the hallway. I didn’t want to put in any unnecessary polygons quite yet, as the room is still in it’s early stages as you can see below. For the whole room the polygon count reached 606.

2.PNG1.PNGThe next step as you can see below, was to add in the sliding doors to separate the living room for the dining room and the kitchen. These particular parts proved to be one of the trickiest part of the project, as I had to make constant adjustment to the shell of the house to insert an accurate number of windows to the doors. as you can see in the second image, the detail required a bit of subdividing, however it didn’t reach the levels I anticipated  Despite the trouble the doors came out looking accurate enough, with a maximum polycount of 2438.3.PNG4.PNGBelow are the main lights of both the living room and the dining room. These were particularly difficult to get right, and even after a few retries they still seem slightly off in some way. The main problem with these is similar to many other problems I found throughout this project, and that was making it fit with the proportions of the room. In the end I settled with the design you can see below, however later I will probably make the base smaller, the stems longer as well as tinker with the lamps. This all equated to just over 9000 polygons. 6.PNG5.PNGThe next step proved to be the most time consuming, as it took countless hours of readjusting the shell of the house. To get an accurate size and shape of the kitchen, it was required that I go through the entire project and re-size everything. Adjustments had to be made while creating the upper and lower shelves, however I eventually crafted an accurate representation. The majority of this part required only copy and pasting, then resizing, so not too much time was lost on this particular section. As you can see in the third and fourth picture I have started adding in coving and picture rails to the project.7.PNG10.PNG8.PNG9.PNGBelow is the soon to be main windows of the house. To reduce the mess in the main shell of the house, I decided to make this part a separate mesh, which also made it easier to manage. For this part I just had to create a few subdivisions and move the vertices around in a semi circular shape. In the second picture down you can see that I added in a shelf and some roof beams, however later I will add curtains and window frames.11.PNG12.PNGThe next section actually required me to create skirting boards and picture rails beforehand in order to get the proportions correct. As you can see in the third picture down, this part of the room is the fireplace area, and above the fireplace is a mirror. After much walking back and forth from the fireplace to the computer, I kept finding that the room was too short, and needed to be higher. This proved quite troublesome and forced me to revisit the other rooms. After a few hours of tinkering I got the dimensions of the columns correct. The next step was to just add detail and the mirror, which proved quite simple. 15.PNG14.PNG13.PNGAfter all of the main parts were finished, all that was left was to add a few more minor accessories and lighting. In the future I will add more to this project, such as furniture and texture. Although this project is quite bare at the moment, it has established the correct dimensions of each room, and everything in those rooms contributes to making everything else the correct size.

This project has unexpectedly taught me a great deal about 3d modelling, not so much in an artistic way, but more in the organizational sense. I know now that I should prioritise certain areas, so that I do not have to keep revisiting them.16.png17.png18.png

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s